But that 20% is growing, and the amount of newspaper digitization projects are growing also. Whether they be commercial subscription sites, state wide projects, or small library digitization projects for just one newspaper, they all add up.
Here is a list of new digitization efforts that are either in progress or are recently completed. The link will take you to an article that describes in more detail the status of the project.
- Illinois - Historic Lake Forester issues now available on library website
- Indiana - Dig into the past with digital newspaper archives
- Iowa - Libraries digitize WB newspapers; 56 years available and searchable
- Iowa - Archives Preserve Student News Since 1876
- Massachusetts - Search old Andover newspapers online
- Massachusetts - Franklin library receives $25K donation
- Missouri - The Current, past and present: Student newspaper celebrates 50 years
- Missouri - Herald set to release its archives dating to 1880s
- Missouri - Library receives grant to digitize old newspapers
- New Jersey - Coast Advertiser
- Oklahoma - NEO announces digitized library of old campus newspapers
- Ontario - The Almonte Gazette – Online!
- Oregon - Hood River Papers Available, Thanks to Hood River Library!
- Virginia - Southwest Times digital archive expanded
Hopefully the paper or location is in the area of your research!
I'm sure there are more projects underway - these are just some that have written articles about them.
If you know of more - please let us know in the comments.