But that 20% is growing, and the amount of newspaper digitization projects are growing also. Whether they be commercial subscription sites, state wide projects, or small library digitization projects for just one newspaper, they all add up.
Here is a list of new and recent (past two months) digitization efforts that are either in progress or are completed. The link will take you to an article that describes in more detail the status of the project.
Hopefully the paper or location is in the area of your research!
- California - Long Beach Public Library to begin difficult task of digitizing volumes of periodicals, newspapers
- Pennsylvania - Daily Pennsylvanian archives, as old as 1885, now online
- Oregon - New Adventures in Old News
- Missouri - Post-Dispatch archives now searchable online back to 1874
- New York - OPL Launches Microfilm Digitization Project
- New Jersey - 111 years of Press archives online
- Texas - Library adds digital collection of longtime Advocate columnist
- Tennessee - Don't stop the press: Old Johnson City newspaper in the process of being preserved online
- Michigan - Alpena Goes Digital!
- Ohio - Library has digitized newspaper archives
- British Columbia - Going digital — Newshound makes history accessible
I'm sure there are more projects underway - these are just some that have written articles about them.
If you know of more - please let us know in the comments.