But that 20% is growing, and the amount of newspaper digitization projects are growing also. Whether they be commercial subscription sites, state wide projects, or small library digitization projects for just one newspaper, they all add up.
Here is a list of new digitization efforts that are either in progress or are recently completed. Most are in the U.S., but there is one from Canada. The link will take you to an article that describes in more detail the status of the project.
- Alabama - Wallace State Genealogy Department expands collection
- Arizona - Maintaining the historical record
- Idaho - State historical society digitizes the early Clearwater Republican
- Kansas - Center showcases heritage of Gove, Sheridan, Thomas counties
- Michigan - Bentley Historical Library reveals 125 years of digitized Daily archives
- Minnesota - Area organizations receive Minnesota Historical Society grants
- New York - Historic news pages online
- Ontario - Newspaper donates its library to city’s museum
- Oklahoma - University Archives are rich in Oklahoma history
- Pennsylvania - Elizabethtown College newspaper database brings past to the present
- Rhode Island - PVA receives $6,300 grant
Hopefully the paper or location is in the area of your research!
I'm sure there are more projects underway - these are just some that have written articles about them.
If you know of more - please let us know in the comments.